Business Growth - Businesses Bought by Google
- A-Level, IB
- AQA, Edexcel, OCR, IB, Eduqas, WJEC
Last updated 9 Jan 2023
Here are some examples of businesses bought by Google over the years as part of their long run expansion.
Google, now known as Alphabet Inc., is a multinational technology company that has made a number of acquisitions over the years in a variety of industries. Some notable acquisitions made by Google include:
- YouTube: In 2006, Google acquired YouTube, a video sharing platform, for $1.65 billion. YouTube has since become one of the most popular websites in the world, with billions of users and billions of views per day.
- DoubleClick: In 2007, Google acquired DoubleClick, an online advertising company, for $3.1 billion. DoubleClick's technology has been integrated into many of Google's advertising products and has helped to make Google one of the largest online advertising companies in the world.
- Nest Labs: In 2014, Google acquired Nest Labs, a home automation company, for $3.2 billion. Nest's products, which include smart thermostats and smoke detectors, have been integrated into Google's smart home ecosystem.
- Waze: In 2013, Google acquired Waze, a crowdsourced traffic and navigation app, for $1.1 billion. Waze's technology has been integrated into Google Maps, making it one of the most popular navigation apps in the world.
- Fitbit: In 2020, Google announced that it would acquire Fitbit, a wearable fitness tracking company, for $2.1 billion. The acquisition is still in progress and is expected to be completed in 2021.