Analysing and Evaluating Government Intervention in Markets
- AS, A-Level, IB
- AQA, Edexcel, OCR, IB, Eduqas, WJEC
Last updated 2 Jul 2018
This study note provides an overview of the different forms of government intervention in markets
Summary - evaluating government intervention in markets
- How significant is the market failure? (consequences)
- Can the market / price mechanism find some solutions?
- What are the likely consequences of not intervening?
- How effective is an intervention? (i.e. consider alternatives)
- Who are the winners / losers from an intervention?
- Consider the potential for one or more government failures
- Which works best – market-based or regulatory (“command and control”) approaches?
- What impact might behavioural interventions have?