Priming and Behavioural Choice (Behavioural Economics)
- AS, A Level
- AQA, Edexcel, OCR, IB
Last updated 21 Mar 2021
What is priming?
Our behaviour by cues that work subconsciously and prime us to behave / choose in certain ways.
Examples of priming to change behaviour:
- Playing of certain types of music in a shopping mall / priming through aroma
- Subliminal cues in films / TV adverts, subliminal cues before an interview
- Students signing an honor-code at university before they hand in assignments
- Showing pictures of older citizens may cause people to walk more slowly
- When a picture of a woman appeared on a math test, female students were reminded to recall their gender and performed worse on the test (Shih et al 1999)