Introduction to Research Methods (Online Lesson)
- A Level
Last updated 17 Aug 2021
This online lesson introduces students to the topic of sociological research methods. Key research methods terms are introduced (e.g. quantitative, qualitative, primary and secondary) as well as factors influencing choice of topic and research method.
WHAT YOU'LL STUDY IN THIS ONLINE LESSON
- Why sociologists conduct research
- The different types of data available and why sociologists might prefer one or the other
- Factors influencing choice of topic
- Factors influencing choice of method
HOW TO USE THIS LESSON
Follow the sequence of activities as they appear below. Some are interactive game-based activities, designed to test your understanding and build your awareness of sociological research methods. Others are based on short videos, that include activities for you to think about and try at home.
If you would like to download a simple worksheet to accompany the video activities download it here. Alternatively, just use a piece of paper.
LET'S GET STARTED...
This video introduces you to the principles of sociological research
This video explores the differences between quantitative and qualitative research
This game of Concentration will test your understanding of what you have learnt so far
This video explores the differences between primary and secondary sources of data.
In this video, you will investigate factors that influence choice of research topic
In this video, you will investigate factors that influence choice of research method
Attempt the following 10 mark exam-style question:
Outline & explain 2 factors that might influence a sociologist’s choice of research topic (10 marks)
See what score you get in this multiple-choice quiz
Find out more about the principles of sociological research through these tutor2u topic videos on:
ADDITIONAL TEACHER GUIDANCE
This online lesson includes:
- 5 x video-based activities, totalling around 25 minutes of guided video
- 20 to 25 minutes (throughout the videos) of "thinking time" and short activities
- 2 interactive games, you could ask your students to submit their score to you for Activity 8
- Links to videos with further content, as enrichment / stretch and challenge.
- An exam-style written task on choice of research method, which we would expect to take approximately 15 minutes of writing time, and which you could ask students to submit for assessment.
If students complete all tasks fully, this comprises around 1.5 hours work.
You might also like
AQA A-Level Sociology Grade Booster 2022
Student Revision Workshops
Join our experienced presenters for a day of fast-paced revision & essential exam technique advice on the big cinema screen – supported by online help all the way though to your final exam paper.