Business Growth - Acquisitions made by Facebook
- AS, A-Level, IB
- AQA, Edexcel, OCR, IB, Eduqas, WJEC
Last updated 10 Jan 2023
Facebook has made many acquisitions over the years to drive their business growth. Here are some examples if you want to add application to your Theory of the Firm revision notes.
Some notable acquisitions include:
- Instagram: In 2012, Facebook acquired Instagram, a popular photo-sharing app, for $1 billion. The acquisition helped Facebook expand its presence in the mobile market and gain access to Instagram's user base.
- WhatsApp: In 2014, Facebook acquired WhatsApp, a popular messaging app, for $19 billion. The acquisition helped Facebook expand its messaging capabilities and gain access to WhatsApp's user base.
- Oculus VR: In 2014, Facebook acquired Oculus VR, a virtual reality technology company, for $2 billion. The acquisition helped Facebook expand into the virtual reality market and gain access to Oculus's technology and expertise.
- Giphy: in 2020, Facebook announced it's acquired Giphy, an animated image sharing website, for an undisclosed sum.
- Kustomer: In 2020, Facebook announced the acquisition of Kustomer, a customer service and engagement platform, for an undisclosed amount.