Business Growth - Acquisitions made by Tata Group
- A-Level, IB
- AQA, Edexcel, OCR, IB, Eduqas, WJEC
Last updated 10 Jan 2023
Tata Group is one of India's largest and most diversified conglomerate, has made a number of significant acquisitions over the years in order to expand its business and gain access to new technology and markets. It is a good applied example to use of a transnational corporation from an emerging market economy and a great example to add into your business growth and globalisation notes.
Here are a few examples of their acquisitions:
- Tata Steel's acquisition of Corus Group in 2007: This acquisition, which was valued at $12 billion, helped Tata Steel become one of the world's leading steel producers.
- Tata Motors' acquisition of Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) in 2008: This acquisition, which was valued at $2.3 billion, helped Tata Motors become one of the world's leading manufacturers of luxury vehicles
- Tata Power's acquisition of 30% stake in Indonesia's PT Kaltim Prima Coal (KPC) in 2008: This acquisition helped Tata Power expand its presence in the coal mining industry.
- Tata Power's acquisition of 100% stake in Welspun Renewable Energy Pvt Ltd in 2016: This acquisition helped Tata Power become one of the largest renewable energy companies in India.
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) acquisition of the UK-based digital agency W12 Studios in 2018: This acquisition helped TCS expand its digital capabilities in areas such as analytics and experience design.