Essential AQA GCSE Geography
This course provides a comprehensive and resource-packed guide to the structure of the AQA GCSE Geography specification, how students are assessed and help with planning and delivering the course content.
- Face-to-face CPD
- 1 day (10am to 3.15pm)
- £245.00 (+VAT)
All non-specialist, early career or inexperienced teachers delivering the AQA GCSE Geography specification.
Wednesday September 27th 2023
London - The Clermont Hotel (Charing Cross)
About the course
This course explores the structure of the AQA GCSE specification, teaching tricky topics, mastering the high-tariff questions, planning and delivering fieldwork, embedding geographical skills, and much more.
The course is designed to build your confidence and knowledge, and support your delivery and assessment of AQA GCSE Geography.
What we'll cover
- In this introduction, we will explore the different assessment objectives, their command words, and how these are spread across the three papers.
- In this session, we explore exam style questions and responses and practice applying mark scheme to help you help your students master the high-tariff questions. This will improve your confidence in marking to criteria and will demonstrate what 'effective' and 'good' answers look like.
- In this session, we explore topic areas and concepts that students often find difficult, with ideas of how to deliver these topics, as well as resources to help you feel more confident with the content.
- In this session, we explore how to plan fieldwork, how to deliver it out in the field, and how to consolidate it once back in the classroom, so your students feel confident going into the Paper 3 exam.
- In this session, we explore the essential geographical skills that students need to master as part of the GCSE course, and how you can embed them throughout to ensure maximum confidence going into the final exams.
The tutor2u approach to CPD
A full day of CPD designed and delivered by experienced subject specialists
Practical, ready-to-use resources that you can put to use and share with colleagues as soon as you return to the classroom
A chance to have your questions answered, and teaching problems solved
An invaluable opportunity to share ideas and experiences with colleagues from other centres and to build a network of contacts
Refreshments throughout the day and a buffet lunch
Glynnis Morgan is an experienced teacher and was Head of Geography at a girls’ grammar school in South West London until the end of 2022. Glynnis has taught for nine years, featured on the very first episode of the podcast ‘Coffee and Geography’ and presented at TeachMeet Geography Icons.
Suzanne is an experienced Head of Geography with over 25 years of teaching, in both the state and independent sector. She has authored a wide range of teaching resources and articles for AQA Geography GCSE.
Vicki Woolven is Subject Lead for Key Stage 4 Humanities at tutor2u. Vicki previously worked as a Head of Geography and Sociology for many years, and has been a content writer, senior examiner and local authority Key Practitioner for Humanities.