In the News
Sainsburys set for mega merger with Asda
Sainsburys is in advanced talks to acquire Asda which is owned by US retail giant Walmart. There is no doubt that a horizontal merger would attract the attention of the competition authorities including the Competition and Markets Authority and the Grocery Adjudicator. Part of the issue is that it is difficult to define what is the grocery market at the moment.
Aldi and Lidl have hit the headlines in recent times, but the rise of Amazon as a grocery retailer is also a potentially significant aspect to the discussion about competition in the sector.
We will add to the business blog as details emerge of the proposed deal.
- Asda is owned by US retailer Walmart
- Sainsbury's took over Argos and Habitat for £1.4bn in 2016.
- In 2017, Tesco merged with Booker - the UK's largest food wholesaler.
- Amazon bought Whole Foods.
- Aldi and Lidl have gained significant market share in recent years in part because of a rapid expansion of store openings.