Evolution | tutor2u Religious Studies

Here are three very different takes on evolution and the science/ religion debate.

Vatican Buries the hatchet with Charles Darwin
For the full article from The Times Online click here

Archbishop Ravasi argues that biological evolution and the Christian view of creation were complimentary. Ravasi argues that Darwin’s theories have never been formally condemned by the Roman Catholic Church. Father Tantzella-Nitti, Professor of Theology Pontifical Santa Croce University reiterated that although we share 97% of our genetic inheritance with apes “the remaining 3% is what makes us unique”. This obviously includes religion.

(For more information click here for a useful colour coded list of Christian thinkers in science, organized by era

An interesting look at the evolutionary process from a completely different perspective is given by Susan Savage Rumbaugh in this TED talk Apes that can write, start fires, play pacman. (17 mins long)

An interesting comparison with this is the view of evolution in machines given by Hod Lipsun in Robots that are Self Aware.  (6 mins)

Subscribe to email updates from the tutor2u Religious Studies

Join 1000s of fellow Religious Studies teachers and students all getting the tutor2u Religious Studies team's latest resources and support delivered fresh in their inbox every morning.

You can also follow @tutor2uRE on Twitter or subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Popular Content

Recruitment

Advertise your vacancies with tutor2u

Much cheaper & more effective than TES or the Guardian. Reach the audience you really want to apply for your teaching vacancy by posting directly to our website and related social media audiences.

Find our more ›

Advertise your teaching jobs with tutor2u

A New Home for tutor2u Resources

We've just flicked the switch on moving all our digital resources to instant digital download - via our new subject stores.

For every subject you can now access each digital resource as soon as it is ordered. This will always be the latest edition of each resource too (and we'll update you automatically if there is an upgraded version to use).

Simply add the required resources to your cart, checkout using the usual options and your resources will be available to access immediately via your mytutor2u account.