Exam Workshops for Students
A Level Economics Strong Foundations Workshops
- Levels: AS, A Level
- Exam boards: AQA, Edexcel, OCR, Eduqas, WJEC
Join Ruth Tarrant and Jon Clark for this intensive one-day exam skills and revision workshops for all Year 13 A-Level Economics Students! Visiting London (26 &27 Nov), Birmingham (28 Nov), Manchester (29 Nov) and Leeds (30 Nov).
Registration on the day opens 45 minutes before the event's start time.
About this event
The A Level Economics Strong Foundations workshops are designed to support all Year 13 A Level Economics students as they complete the fourth term of their two-year linear course.
This student workshop is not exam-board specific; it will cover core topics common to AQA, Edexcel (A), OCR and eduqas. The workshop sessions and support materials will highlight exam-board differences wherever possible.
The Strong Foundations workshop format is designed to:
- Reinforce core A Level Economics teaching content that has been taught so far, including key foundation topics from Year 1
- Enable students to catch-up with, and re-cap key topics from Year 1 (AS) that will may be examined in the terminal exams but which will not be taught again
- Build student understanding of, and confidence in the core assessment skills that they need to master in order to perform strongly in the three terminal papers.
- Help students prepare effectively, and provide a focus for mock exams in Year 13
The A Level Economics Strong Foundations Workshop combines:
- Four hours of intensive large-group tuition by our experienced A Level Economics presenter team
- An enlarged workshop booklet containing all the session content, extension activities, guidance on exam-board specific exam technique and other essential revision materials
The session outline for A Level Economics Strong Foundations in November 2018 is:
Session 1: Starter for 10!
In this session, we will consider different types of multi-choice and short-answer questions, alongside some of the numerical aspects of economics - a vital element with quantitative skills worth 20% of your A level
Session 2: Read like an economist
Time is of the essence in economics exams - learn how to maximise your chances of success in data response questions by being efficient and accurate with reading and interpreting the data as an economist.
Session 3: Analyse this
Analysis (AO3) is an essential exam skill. In this session, you will be shown how to improve your analytical skills by developing stronger and more effective chains of argument, and how to incorporate diagrams into your written analysis
Session 4: The Full Picture
In this final, extended session, we will focus on building effective evaluation, as well as how to approach your revision for the synoptic paper. This session is crammed full of top ideas from senior examiners on how to maximise your exam performance.
A place at this event costs £25+VAT for the day of tuition. This includes a comprehensive workshop booklet which also includes follow-up revision materials. For every 10 student places you book, a teacher can go free.
Jon worked in Further Education for 22 years, teaching primarily vocational business courses and A level Economics. Alongside this he became a Senior Manager, Head of Faculty and a Quality Manager with responsibility for course performance and teaching and learning development. He is now Head of Resources and Innovation at tutor2u with particular responsibility for designing and delivering teacher CPD and student revision workshops in Economics. Jon also develops the tutor2u Powerpoint resources, combining proven teaching strategies with his computer coding skills to produce interactive and engaging activities.
Experienced teacher of Economics and Politics, formerly HOD at Bedales School. Ruth is also a senior examiner.