Exam Workshops for Students
A Level Business Strong Foundations Workshops
- Levels: A Level
- Exam boards: AQA, Edexcel, OCR, Eduqas
Join Jim Riley and Graham Prior for this intensive one-day exam skills and revision workshops for AQA & Edexcel Year 13 A-Level Business Students! Visiting London (26 &27 Nov), Birmingham (28 Nov), Manchester (29 Nov) and Leeds (30 Nov).
Registration on the day opens 45 minutes before the event's start time.
About this event
The A Level Business Strong Foundations workshops are designed to support all Year 13 A Level Business students as they complete the fourth term of their two-year linear course. The focus of Strong Foundations is on the skills students need to succeed with their A Level Business exams in 2019.
This student workshop is not designed to be exam-board specific; however it covers core topics common to AQA and Edexcel.
The Strong Foundations workshop format is designed to:
- Reinforce core A Level Business teaching content that has been taught so far, including key foundation topics from Year 1
- Enable students to catch-up with, and re-cap key topics from Year 1 (AS)
- Build student understanding of, and confidence in the core assessment skills that they need to master in order to perform strongly in the three A Level papers.
- Help students prepare effectively, and provide a focus for mock exams in Year 13
- Provide a suitable "wake-up call" for some students who need a reminder of the touch challenge ahead of them in 2019
The A Level Business Strong Foundations Workshop combines:
- Four hours of intensive large-group tuition by our experienced A Level Business presenter team
- A workshop booklet containing all the session content and follow-up activities
The likely session content is outlined below. Refinements to this are likely once the detailed feedback from the various A Level Business examiner reports is available.
The focus of Strong Foundations A Level Business is to focus students on the skills they need to succeed in May / June 2019.
Session 1 – Awesome Application
- Writing contextualised answers that are rooted in the case study
- Understand what examiners look for in terms of application
- Techniques to help pick out key application points
- Using data effectively to ensure answers are in context
Session 2 – Analyse This
- Developing strong and coherent lines of analysis so that answers go beyond just stating theoretical advantages and disadvantages
- Techniques to help students examine causes and consequences and write arguments in depth
- Using business theories and models in answers to hone and sharpen analysis and avoid ‘man on the street responses
Session 3 – Evaluation Excellence
- Writing strong conclusions, judgements and recommendations
- How to ensure your evaluation answers the question and builds on prior analysis
- Strategies and techniques to help develop evaluation
Afternoon Session - Quantitative Skills and Numerical Concepts
The afternoon session in Strong Foundations is an intensive one and tackles core quantitative and numerical concepts that students often find challenging, such as investment appraisal and variance analysis. Our experience is that this session often proves to be an effective "wake-up call" for Year 13 students who discover that their quantitative and numerical skills need a renewed focus on the remaining months before A Level exams begin in May 2019.
A place at this event costs £25+VAT for the day of tuition. This includes a comprehensive workshop booklet which also includes follow-up revision materials. For every 10 student places you book, a teacher can go free.
Graham is Subject Lead for A Level Business at tutor2u. He is an experienced Business teacher, examiner and author.
Jim Riley is the co-Founder and CEO of tutor2u. Prior to founding tutor2u with twin brother Geoff in 2000, Jim was Director of Strategy for Thomson Travel Group. Prior to this Jim spent 10 years with PwC. Jim is a Fellow of the ICAEW and holds an MBA from Bradford Business School.