Marketing: SWOT Analysis and Marketing (GCSE)
- Levels: GCSE
- Exam boards: AQA, Edexcel, OCR, IB
An important part of the planning process is looking at the existing position of the business and trying to decide how factors external to the business may affect the business.
A business can perform a SWOT analysis as a way of deciding which marketing strategy to use. The business performs an audit on the internal and external nature of the business looking at the current and future situation. An audit is a review of all the business' activities.
Thinking about the use of a SWOT analysis in assessing the contribution of marketing to a business' strategy;
Possible strengths in marketing might be:
- Specialist marketing expertise
- An innovative product or service
- The location of the business – convenient for customers
- The reputation of the brand – perhaps it is trusted or recognised as the highest quality
Possible weaknesses in marketing might include:
- Lack of a clear product differentiation compared with competing products
- Weak distribution compared with competitors
- Inadequate online presence
Potential marketing opportunities could include:
- The use of technology to develop new products
- Growing demand from overseas markets (e.g. China & India)
- The use of social media like Facebook and Twitter to reach new customers
A list of possible marketing threats could include:
- Competitors introducing better products at lower prices
- Changes in the economic environment which encourage customers to be less loyal to established brands
- Changes in customer tastes and fashions
You Might Also Like
More From the Digital Store
Topic-by-topic coverage of the entire Year 2 (sections 3.7 - 3.10) teaching content for AQA A Level Business.
Superb series of worksheets specifically designed to help students practice the quantitative skills element of the Year 2 teaching content for Edexcel A Level Business.
Much cheaper & more effective than TES or the Guardian. Reach the audience you really want to apply for your teaching vacancy by posting directly to our website and related social media audiences.