Budgets - Introduction
- Levels: AS, A Level
- Exam boards: AQA, Edexcel, OCR, IB, Other
Budgetary control is the process by which financial control is exercised within an organisation.
Budgets for income/revenue and expenditure are prepared in advance and then compared with actual performance to establish any variances.
Managers are responsible for controllable costs within their budgets and are required to take remedial action if the adverse variances arise and they are considered excessive.
There are many management uses for budgets. For example, budgets are used to:
- Control income and expenditure (the traditional use)
- Establish priorities and set targets in numerical terms
- Provide direction and co-ordination, so that business objectives can be turned into practical reality
- Assign responsibilities to budget holders (managers) and allocate resources
- Communicate targets from management to employees
- Motivate staff
- Improve efficiency
- Monitor performance
Whilst there are many uses of budgets, there are a set of guiding principles for good budgetary control in a business.
In an effective budget system:
- Managerial responsibilities are clearly defined – in particular the responsibility to adhere to their budgets
- Individual budgets lay down a plan of action
- Performance is monitored against the budget
- Corrective action is taken if results differ significantly from the budget
- Departures from budgets are permitted only after approval from senior management
- Unaccounted for variances are investigated
You Might Also Like
15th September 2016
12th September 2016
23rd January 2016
8th July 2015
More From the Digital Store
Superb series of worksheets specifically designed to help students practice the quantitative skills element of the Year 2 teaching content for AQA A Level Business.
All the teaching & learning resources provided to delegates at the recent Teaching Quantitative and Numerical Concepts for A Level Business course.
Much cheaper & more effective than TES or the Guardian. Reach the audience you really want to apply for your teaching vacancy by posting directly to our website and related social media audiences.