The international price of crude oil has been rising strongly in recent weeks and threatens to be an external factor driving an already weak Euro Zone and UK economy back into recession.
Higher oil prices push up the price of many imported goods and services and effectively represent an extra tax on oil-consuming nations. The UK is now firmly in the category of being a net oil importer - production from the North Sea is long past the peak - so higher prices will worsen our trade deficit whilst adding to inflationary pressures at a time when real incomes are already in decline. UK North Sea oil & gas production is falling at faster than expected levels & was down 17% in 2011.
The weakness of sterling in foreign exchange markets amplifies the effect of rising world prices since oil is traded in US dollars.
We are seeing on the petrol forecourts the immediate effect of the surge in world oil prices. Average fuel prices in the UK in February 2002 were 75.3 pence for a litre of diesel but are now at 143.5 pence.
This short video from BBC news looks at some of the geo-political factors influencing the market
Channel 4 have this great graphic on the world oil market
Download the charts as a presentation
blog comments powered by Disqus
Dates and Locations
AS & A2 Economics - Macroeconomics: National & International Economy (Unit 2), Global/International Economy (Unit 4)
- Tuesday 25 March 2014 - London (Stratford City)
- Wednesday 26 March 2014 - London (Fulham Broadway)
- Thursday 27 March 2014 - Bristol (Cribbs Causeway)
- Friday 28 March 2014 - Birmingham (Star City)
- Tuesday 1 April 2014 - Gateshead (Metro Centre)
- Wednesday 2 April 2014 - Leeds (The Light)
- Thursday 3 April 2014 - Manchester (Salford Quays)
Post-Easter (AS Economics Units 1&2 Combined; Global/International Economy (Unit 4))
- Monday 28 April 2014 - London (Stratford City)
- Tuesday 29 April 2014 - London (Fulham Broadway)
- Wednesday 30 April 2014 - Bristol (Cribbs Causeway)
- Thursday 1 May 2014 - Birmingham (Star City)
- Friday 2 May 2014 - Manchester (Salford Quays)
|PowerPoint Lesson Activities||Teacher Conferences & CPD Courses|
|Exam Coaching & Revision Workshops||Pre-release Case Study Toolkits|
|A Level Economics Teaching Support||Resources for Business Studies|