Get Summer 2014 Right First Time with tutor2u Exam Coaching & Revision Workshops
'Tis the season of making predictions about the future. What will 2014 bring? There has also been a lot a coverage of a study making predictions as far ahead as 2030.
The study, published by the Centre for Economics and Business Research, makes some fairly startling predictions. The most commented on is the forecast that the UK will have the largest economy in Europe by 2030.
There are plenty of reasons to either cheer this prediction (particularly by those who generally favour the current government's economic policies). There are lots of reasons to have significant doubts about the reliability of these forecasts too. Will Hutton in The Guardian expresses his lack of confidence in some of the guesswork here.
I wonder if by 2030, GDP will have fallen from favour (somewhat) as the main indicator of economic progress. Most economists are keen to move towards a broader 'dashboard' approach to measuring economic progress, capturing a far wider range of data.
The Economist's World in Figures is quite a nice digest of stats comparing predictions for countries in 2014.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Dates and Locations
AS & A2 Economics - Microeconomics: Markets & Market Failure (Unit 1), Business Economics (Unit 3)
- Monday 20 January 2014 - London (Stratford City)
- Tuesday 21 January 2014 - London (Fulham Broadway)
- Wednesday 22 January 2014 - Bristol (Cribbs Causeway)
- Thursday 23 January 2014 - Birmingham (Star City)
- Friday 24 January 2014 - Manchester (Salford Quays)
AS & A2 Economics - Macroeconomics: National & International Economy (Unit 2), Global/International Economy (Unit 4)
- Tuesday 25 March 2014 - London (Stratford City)
- Wednesday 26 March 2014 - London (Fulham Broadway)
- Thursday 27 March 2014 - Bristol (Cribbs Causeway)
- Friday 28 March 2014 - Birmingham (Star City)
- Tuesday 1 April 2014 - Gateshead (Metro Centre)
- Wednesday 2 April 2014 - Leeds (The Light)
- Thursday 3 April 2014 - Manchester (Salford Quays)
Post-Easter (AS Economics Units 1&2 Combined; Global/International Economy (Unit 4))
- Monday 28 April 2014 - London (Stratford City)
- Tuesday 29 April 2014 - London (Fulham Broadway)
- Wednesday 30 April 2014 - Bristol (Cribbs Causeway)
- Thursday 1 May 2014 - Birmingham (Star City)
- Friday 2 May 2014 - Manchester (Salford Quays)
|PowerPoint Lesson Activities||Teacher Conferences & CPD Courses|
|Exam Coaching & Revision Workshops||Pre-release Case Study Toolkits|
|A Level Economics Teaching Support||Resources for Business Studies|