Get Summer 2014 Right First Time with tutor2u Exam Coaching & Revision Workshops
This BBC news article explains how extreme weather conditions in Russia this summer is hitting GDP growth.
The Russian economy has always been sensitive to changes in the world prices of commodities such as oil and gas (two major exports). In this sense, Russia is more exposed than the other BRIC nations to a double-dip recession in the developed world leading to declines in commodity prices.
And now an extreme heatwave, which caused a severe drought and wildfires has destroyed crops, has hit export revenues and led to a rise in consumer price inflation. The drought has destroyed over a quarter of the country’s grain crop.
The soaring price of fooder for cattle has led to many smaller dairy farmers slaughtering their cattle. And demand for agricultural machinery has also slumped.
Overall, the drought and fires are expected to but annual economic growth in 2010 by at least 0.8 percentage points.
For a wider perspective on prospects for the Russian economy, this FT blog is fascinating: Is Russia the best Bric after all?
blog comments powered by Disqus
Dates and Locations
AS & A2 Economics - Microeconomics: Markets & Market Failure (Unit 1), Business Economics (Unit 3)
- Monday 20 January 2014 - London (Stratford City)
- Tuesday 21 January 2014 - London (Fulham Broadway)
- Wednesday 22 January 2014 - Bristol (Cribbs Causeway)
- Thursday 23 January 2014 - Birmingham (Star City)
- Friday 24 January 2014 - Manchester (Salford Quays)
AS & A2 Economics - Macroeconomics: National & International Economy (Unit 2), Global/International Economy (Unit 4)
- Tuesday 25 March 2014 - London (Stratford City)
- Wednesday 26 March 2014 - London (Fulham Broadway)
- Thursday 27 March 2014 - Bristol (Cribbs Causeway)
- Friday 28 March 2014 - Birmingham (Star City)
- Tuesday 1 April 2014 - Gateshead (Metro Centre)
- Wednesday 2 April 2014 - Leeds (The Light)
- Thursday 3 April 2014 - Manchester (Salford Quays)
Post-Easter (AS Economics Units 1&2 Combined; Global/International Economy (Unit 4))
- Monday 28 April 2014 - London (Stratford City)
- Tuesday 29 April 2014 - London (Fulham Broadway)
- Wednesday 30 April 2014 - Bristol (Cribbs Causeway)
- Thursday 1 May 2014 - Birmingham (Star City)
- Friday 2 May 2014 - Manchester (Salford Quays)
|PowerPoint Lesson Activities||Teacher Conferences & CPD Courses|
|Exam Coaching & Revision Workshops||Pre-release Case Study Toolkits|
|A Level Economics Teaching Support||Resources for Business Studies|