Get Summer 2014 Right First Time with tutor2u Exam Coaching & Revision Workshops
I’m going to show you a technology that may simply blow you away. This isn’t a make-believe technology; it’s real and it’s here now. The possibilities are endless; the implications for the future of manufacturing, business investment and business models could be hugely significant.
I can sense you might be a little sceptical about 3-D printing. To help provide some (detailed) background, I recommend listening to these two editions of Peter Day’s excellent Global Business podcasts in which he investigates the development and current applications of 3-D printing.
New Dimensions for Manufacturing - Episode 1
Could 3D printing may be poised to revolutionise the manufacturing industry? Peter Day asks if 100 years of mass production is running out of steam.
New Dimensions for Manufacturing - Episode 2
Peter Day talks to the experts about the potential for 3D printing to revolutionise manufacturing as well as the way that business thinks and works. And he finds out what could be made using 3D printers.
Most of us are not familiar with the concept of 3-D printing, so her’s the basic idea. There are now machines that can convert a CAD (computer-aided design) file into a 3-D reality. In the same way that an inkjet printer lays tiny droplets of ink onto a sheet of paper, these machines build up layer upon (very thin) layer of material (usually plastic) to create an object from the base up.
You may be starting to imagine the possibilities, and certainly listening to Peter Day’s podcasts, you get a sense of the amazing opportunities:
- If the software can draw the product, it can be made (however, 3-D designs currently work much better in plastics rather than in metals)
- Many applications where traditional manufacturing methods are complex and expensive - e.g. engineering parts; aerospace parts; artificial limbs!
- Personalisation of many products; instant local printing of replacement parts etc
Amongst the potential benefits are:
* A revolution in the way that a product can be designed - much faster development times
* A reduction in the time taken to produce something
* Reducing the amount of capital invested in machinery, stocks
* Garage inventors and garage manufacturers” on the way - innovators have fewer barriers to entry
Now, let’s see this 3-D technology in action.
This short video explains the basic process involved in 3-D printing:
and here is a slightly longer video showing the process in action:
More here from the Financial Times (July 2012)
blog comments powered by Disqus
Business Studies Revision / Exam Coaching Workshops Coming Up:
Thursday 24 April 2014 - Birmingham
Friday 25 April 2014 - London (Stratford City)
Monday 20 January 2014 - London (Stratford City)
Tuesday 21 January 2014 - London (Fulham Broadway)
Wednesday 22 January 2014 - Bristol (Cribbs Causeway)
Thursday 23 January 2014 - Birmingham (Star City)
Friday 24 January 2014 - Manchester (Salford Quays)
Tuesday 25 March 2014 - London (Stratford City)
Wednesday 26 March 2014 - London (Fulham Broadway)
Thursday 27 March 2014 - Bristol (Cribbs Causeway)
Friday 28 March 2014 - Birmingham (Star City)
Tuesday 1 April 2014 - Newcastle (Metro Centre)
Wednesday 2 April 2014 - Leeds (The Light)
Thursday 3 April 2014 - Manchester (Salford Quays)
Post-Easter (BUSS1/BUSS2 Combined & BUSS4)
Monday 28 April 2014 - London (Stratford City)
Tuesday 29 April 2014 - London (Fulham Broadway)
Wednesday 30 April 2014 - Bristol (Cribbs Causeway)
Thursday 1 May 2014 - Birmingham (Star City)
Friday 2 May 2014 - Manchester (Salford Quays)
Try some of these superb starter activities for Business Studies:
- Anagram Countdown
- Beat the Teacher
- Budget Basket
- Memory Challenge
- Loop Cards
- I'm the Question
- Catchphrase - Say What You See!
- Consider All Possibilities (C.A.P)
- Teacher Talkabout
- Perfect Recall
- Pass the Buck
- What would you have invented?
- These are a few of my favourite things
- Set Your Students the 15 Word Challenge
- Topic Tennis
- What Why Depends - Developing Thinking Skills
|Business Studies Blog||Economics Blog|
|Geography Blog||Politics Blog|
|Give It A Go! Blog||Sociology Blog|
|PowerPoint Lesson Activities||Teacher Conferences & CPD Courses|
|Exam Coaching & Revision Workshops||Pre-release Case Study Toolkits|
|A Level Economics Teaching Support||Resources for Business Studies|