A wide variety of factors need to be considered when deciding on the most appropriate distribution channel for a product. These are summarised below:
Nature of the product
- Technical/complex? Complex products are often sold by specialist distributors or agents
- Customised? A direct distribution approach often works best for a product that the end consumer wants providing to a distinct specification
- Type of product – e.g. convenience, shopping, speciality
- Desired image for the product – if intermediaries are to be used, then it is essential that those chosen are suitable and relevant for the product.
- Are there traditional channels set for the market in which it is essential to participate?
- Are customers geographically spread?
- Does it involve selling overseas?
- The extent and nature of the competition – which distribution channels and intermediaries do competitors use?
- Profit margin on the product? Is there sufficient profit margin to provide adequate returns for each intermediary?
- Its size and scope – e.g. can it afford an in-house sales force?
- Its marketing objectives – revenue or profit maximisation?
- Does it have established distribution network or does it need to extend its distribution option
- How much control does it want over distribution? The longer the channel, the less control is available
- Are there limitations on sale?
- What are the risks if an intermediary sells the product to an inappropriate customer?
- Who retains legal title to the product as it passes through distribution?
FOR MORE REVISION SUPPORT FROM THE TUTOR2U TEAM...
Use the following class codes to join our Zondle revision classes:
Economics: AS Micro 290-66327 AS Macro 290-66328 A2 Micro 290-66329 A2 Macro 290-66330
AQA AS/A2 Business: BUSS1 290-66325 BUSS2 290-66326 BUSS3 290-66323 BUSS4 290-66322
The cameras went behind the scenes at one of tutor2u's exam coaching & revision workshops this summer...
Discover more about our intensive exam coaching & revision workshops desiged to prepare for exams in May & June 2015:
|PowerPoint Lesson Activities||Teacher Conferences & CPD Courses|
|Exam Coaching & Revision Workshops||Pre-release Case Study Toolkits|
|A Level Economics Teaching Support||Resources for Business Studies|