It all started when one of my A2 students asked me today: “How do you get full marks for evaluation?” in relation to a BUSS3 Question 4 (the 34 marker)
It can be summed up in 2 words:
(Just a note that the examples given are BUSS3 related but could be applied to any evaluation question in BUSS1 or 2 also)
So what does this mean? Let’s break it down...
Considered in relation to something else; comparative
In other words, it is the importance of one point or argument in relation or comparison to another.
So, how can you ensure you are meeting the requirements for “good evaluation”?
In your Points
You need good arguments - so the points you make must be relevant, supported by evidence from the case study, developed using connectives, with an evaluative sentence at the end (where you summarise the significance of the point in relation to the question) – for more information on this refer to blog on Maximising your Marks in BUSS3
In your Conclusion
- Make your Judgement (e.g. in BUSS3 Question 4, do you recommend they adopt the strategy or not?) by weighing up the relative significance of each point you make in argument. In other words – compare the importance of each point to the business in the case study.
- Justify your judgement by providing evidence that you have prioritised the most significant reason for the business
- Identify the “Depends On” factors that the business needs to consider
- Make supported recommendations for future actions (BUSS3 only)
Consider using prompts in your conclusions for any evaluation:
- Based on these arguments, I think that…(use part of the question to ensure you are answering the question)
- This is because….
- I believe this is significant for the business because…
- However, it depends on…
Prompts in your conclusions specific to BUSS3 Question 4:
- Based on these arguments, I recommend that…
- This is because….
- I believe this is the most significant for the business because…
- However, the success of this strategy still depends on…
- So I recommend…
Also, a checklist could be used for any evaluation:
- Have I made a clear judgement?
- Have I justified this judgement?
- Have I said why I think this is the most significant for the business?
- Have I identified the Depends On Factors?
- Have I made recommendations for future actions? (BUSS3 Q4 only)
If you practice this enough, you will be on your way to “good evaluation”
Ok, so this blog is a bit longer than 2 words, sorry about that!
If you only remember 2 words, remember these: RELATIVE SIGNIFICANCE.
The cameras went behind the scenes at one of tutor2u's exam coaching & revision workshops this summer...
Discover more about our intensive exam coaching & revision workshops desiged to prepare for exams in May & June 2015:
|PowerPoint Lesson Activities||Teacher Conferences & CPD Courses|
|Exam Coaching & Revision Workshops||Pre-release Case Study Toolkits|
|A Level Economics Teaching Support||Resources for Business Studies|